Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Famous in my Father's Eyes

Blog post written by Lexi Ramos
Mission Viejo, California


This week my team and I had the opportunity to visit the San Martin center for special needs adults. This is my third time serving in El Salvador so I am able to recognize many familiar faces and look forward to the joyful dance parties. 


This year as I was dancing with one of the residents, he began to point to his cheek and I realized that he wanted me to paint his face. I have never done face paint before and do not consider myself an artist in the slightest, so I was hesitant at first but agreed. As I painted a sun onto the cheek of this elderly gentleman, I soon had a crowd of people around me. The residents of the home were tapping and pulling me in every direction. I could not paint fast enough. Although my painting was sloppy, in my opinion, they loved it!  As I was painting faces it dawned on me that this must be similar to what it's like to be a celebrity. The lyrics to a song popped into my head:

"I don't need my name in lights, I am famous in my fathers eyes." 

Serving the humble people at San Martin brought me so much joy and contentment.  I don't want to be known for worldly things such as popularity or material items. I want to be known by God for serving his people.  I would rather have the admiration of the special people of El Salvador than the fame and glory of a celebrity, whose happiness can be so fleeting.   My desire is to live my life for eternal things and to strive to be famous in my Heavenly Father's eyes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment